همانطورکه میدانید لوس انجلس یکی ازمناطق زلزله خیز امریکا و کالیفرنیاست. همواره مسولین شهر توصیه اماده باش بمردم میدهند و موارد ذیل را گوش زد میکنند. باین موارد توجه بفرمایید.
Preparing Your Home for an Earthquake
According to a study from the University of California in Los Angeles (UCLA), 55% of the injuries during the 1994 Northridge earthquake were caused by falling furniture or objects. Many of these injuries could have been prevented if actions were taken before the earthquake. This makes preparing the home a major concern.
In collaboration with Councilmen Tom LaBonge and Mitchell Englander, this month’s Emergency Management Department (EMD) bulletin will discuss steps you can take to mitigate your home prior to an earthquake. As a family, examine your residence and identify items that can be secured, relocated, or modified to sustain the effects of an earthquake. Here is a suggested checklist. Not all items will apply to your household.
• Securely fasten or RELOCATE heavy pictures or mirrors away from beds.
• Fasten shelves securely: bookshelves, wall units, and entertainment centers. Nylon/ Velcro straps can be found at home improvement stores.
• Place large, heavy objects on lower shelves.
• Brace overhead light and fan fixtures.
• Secure cabinets to wall studs. Use latches designed for child-proofing, earthquakes or boat safety to keep cabinet doors from flying open and contents falling.
• Secure electronics with nylon/ Velcro straps found at home improvement stores: computers, microwaves, televisions.
• Secure refrigerator so that it will not fall or move.
• Secure water heater. Strap to wall studs. Gas and water lines should be flexible.
• Store weed killers, pesticides, painting and cleaning liquids away from heat sources.
• Place oily polishing rags and waste in covered metal cans.
• Secure chimney with sheet metal straps and steel angle bracing to roof rafters. Clean and repair chimneys, flue pipes, vent connectors and gas vents.
• Repair defective electrical wiring and leaky gas connections.
• Know how, when and where to turn off utilities. Do not practice this on the gas meter since the gas utility professional must restore service after being turned off.